Moths.March 2010.

Yellow Horned Moth.
With the weather now getting milder the moths are starting to show. Over the winter I had seen a few Pale Brindled Beauties but the bad weather had kept a lot of stuff from showing. These two moths shown here are the first Ive photographed this year, and also the Yellow Horned was a new species for me so it was a good start to the year, I will have to get the moth trap out of the loft I think. The Oak Beauty is a quite large and lovely patterned moth, they always look in prime condition and a good sign that spring is virtually upon us. The Yellow Horned is very distinctive on the markings especially with only a few species of moth present at this time of year. It has a yellowish hue to it that can be hard to see in certain light. Also noticed about as well are the Common Quakers, there was one trapped when I attended the bird ringing previously and I had seen a couple whilst on nightshift. Lets hope for a good mothing year this year.

Oak Beauty Moth.

Yellow Horned Moth.

Oak Beauty Moth.

Yellow Horned Moth.